The question of choice is always a good one. Should one have choice? Yes. How much choice should one have? Now, that’s a good question that cannot easily be answered.
Many years ago, I remember Mad Magazine had this piece about the guy trying to buy cigarettes in a store.
“Give me a pack of cigarettes”
“Yes sir, 10s or 20s?”
“Yes sir, King size or Regular?”
“Yes sir, Filtertipped or unfiltered?”
Many, now visibly annoyed, “Filter!”
“Yes sir, Menthol or plain?”
“Ahh fuggedabout it! Give me a pack of gum!”
“Yes sir, peppermint or fruit flavor?”
Man is now completely destroyed. Dave Berg, I think it must have been as part of one of his The Lighter Side of… series.
So what is the correct answer to the question of choice. As my own private joke I have often said there are only 2 possible correct answers. (It doesn’t matter if you don’t get the joke…)
1. It’s a bell curve
2. It depends
So for your pleasure and idle amusement I give you choices. Pick one or the other. You may, or may not, wish to provide explanations or excuses. Feel free to pick “Neither”. In which case, please add your own option.
1. Gin or Vodka : vodka
2. Cat or dog: Huh – no brainer!!
3. Hillary or Mallory: Hmm…. Mallory, I do believe holds the edge
4.Gina or Sophia: Gina!
5. Sexual relations or platonic self gratification: < don’t answer that…>
6. Cricket or football: Hmm – that’s a toughie.. NOT!
7. Lucy or Cameron: I’d say either one over Drew.
8. Readers or visitors: Actually, I want commenters. Talk to me people!
9. Facebook or Twitter: This here blog
11. <your pair here>: You can keep going.
Isn’t choice a good thing? Let me know how you really feel after reading this silly post. Actually, it isn’t that silly. It is trying to make a point in a highly subtle way.
Keep the faith!